LIFEWISE Employee Assistance Program
Saint Luke’s LIFEWISE™ Employee Assistance Program provides expertise to assist your employees across Kansas City and around the globe. Our EAP program partners with companies seeking solutions for common workplace issues including:
- Preventing personal problems employees are facing from having a negative impact in the workplace
- Effectively managing high-risk situations
- Developing leaders to effectively manage conflict
- Proactively addressing rising health care costs and unhealthy behaviors
- Developing workplace skills necessary to compete, adapt, and promote well-being
We customize services and innovative solutions to produce positive outcomes, which have included:
- Lowering Saint Luke’s Health System’s mental health expenses from 10 percent to 1.8 percent of total claims, paid through a comprehensive strategy
- Increasing managers’ confidence and skill in dealing with attendance, performance, and behavior issues by as much as 70 percent through EAP consultation
- Training employees in skills to be more effective professionally and personally
- Counseling employees facing personal problems to decrease negative impact in the workplace; 91 percent of clients report improved focus at work and 78 percent report improved productivity
- Assisting almost 80 percent of those seeking counseling within the short-term EAP counseling model, thereby negating the need to use their health care plans
Personalized account management for professional service dedicated to you
As a Saint Luke’s client, you will know your account manager by name. The account manager will possess either a master’s degree or doctorate, along with an understanding that EAP is a specialty area in which there are two clients—the employer and the employee. Your account manager will personally provide or will connect you to someone who will provide:
- Resources and support
Build Your Own EAP™
Saint Luke’s Build Your Own EAP™ design customizes services to fit your organization’s needs, providing the highest degree of flexibility for service selection and pricing. You are not locked into a specific pre-packaged EAP. Custom blend any of our components from our menu to build the EAP that best meets the needs of your budget and employee base.
- Convenient access to services
- Dedicated, professional, and personalized account management
- Consultation with human resources, managers, and supervisors
- On-site training hours for educational presentations and lunch-and-learns with webinar or other access for those outside the local area
- Critical incident stress management services in times of workplace trauma
- Emergency on-call assistance 24/7
- Management development workshops at central locations in the greater Kansas City area and webinar access for those outside the local area
- EAP financial consultation—A Life Balance Service
- Quarterly electronic impact reports and training evaluation summaries
- Program promotion and linkage to Saint Luke’s EAP website
- Electronic Management Matters™ and Employees Matter™ newsletters
- Saint Luke’s Health magazine
Advantage Web—Comprehensive online resources for your organization
Access to Saint Luke’s award-winning online resources is included in every EAP at no additional charge. Our website features health articles and information specific to EAP services. For organizations that want a high level of comprehensive web access, Advantage Web provides resource articles, assessments, and audio and video files featuring seven content divisions:
Other features include:
- Monthly live webinars and archived recorded webinars
- Thousands of articles with regularly updated information and links
- Hundreds of videos and podcasts
- Online learning center with interactive content
- Savings Center for 25 to 70 percent discounts on restaurants, apparel, and many other items
Affiliate network and accessibility
National and international service
As a national program with international capability, we provide nationwide coverage through an extensive network of more than 40,000 providers. By calling our toll-free number during normal office hours, callers speak with an experienced and trained customer service professional and are transferred to match the caller with a provider based on their location and other needs.
For service in the Kansas City metro area, callers are scheduled with a Saint Luke’s counselor within one to five working days for routine appointments. Urgent or emergency appointments are arranged as soon as possible, sometimes within the same day or within one to two days, depending on the situation.
After-hours emergency on-call
Contacting our office
During normal office hours, all calls are answered within three rings by one of our customer service professionals. After hours, callers may leave a message for any routine reason and will receive a response at the beginning of the next working day.
Emergency calls—24/7 response
For an urgent or emergent situation, the caller speaks to one of our customer service professionals and will receive a warm transfer to the 24/7 on-call clinician. According to client satisfaction data, 98 percent of clients rate promptness and accessibility as satisfactory, very good, or excellent.
Coaching services are custom-designed to be available on-site and by telephone for leaders, individuals, and teams.
Our experience has demonstrated that making a commitment to change, employing a combination of techniques, and working with a coach can contribute significantly to a person’s success in getting from where they are to where they want to be.
Individual coaching provides on-site and telephonic coaching to assist employees with a number of important issues, including:
- Improving or maintaining well-being
- Organizing and managing time more effectively
- Planning for a life change
- Adapting to new job responsibilities or career changes
- Moving forward on an important personal or professional issue
Coaching can be provided at the workplace, in our offices in the Kansas City metro area, or by telephone. It can be part of an organization’s overall wellness initiative or a special opportunity for employees to meet with a professional from the EAP confidentially.
Through 25 years of interviewing, coaching, and educating people to make healthy changes, Saint Luke’s EAP staff can leverage its experience to help teams become more effective and sustain change.
Our services are available to leaders and teams and provided on-site.
Team coaching is provided upon request when a group:
- Has been identified as needing additional support to manage change
- Is dealing with conflict
- Wants to develop better teamwork
We assist teams by:
- Offering a variety of individual and team assessments
- Conducting training modules on teamwork, collaboration, conflict resolution, respect, building trust, and other topics
- Providing ongoing team coaching sessions and monitoring progress toward their agreed-upon goals
Education and training
We train thousands of leaders and employees each year in more than 60 core training topics. Our most-requested on-site or webinar training modules include:
Health and productivity—Resilience, stamina and energy, sleep and rest, smoking cessation and changing behaviors, creating healthy habits
Leadership development—Trust, engagement, teambuilding, “Twenty Things Leaders Need to Stop Doing,” promoting creativity and innovation, and coaching skills to build accountability
Personal and professional development—Conflict management, respect and civility, professionalism, relating to people we find difficult, and our Getting Things Done series
Family education series—Healthy marriage, parent education for families with toddlers, children, and adolescents, and our three-part eldercare series
Sometimes life gets complicated and we just need to talk. The EAP is here to listen. We offer a network of experienced, master’s-level behavioral health professionals with more than 40,000 locations globally.
The Saint Luke’s EAP is designed to assist covered employees and their immediate families with:
- Stress management
- Family and marriage concerns
- Work-related difficulties
- Drug and alcohol problems
- Financial issues
Our satisfaction surveys show that most people report their situations have improved with EAP short-term counseling within 30 days and that those who have used the EAP are pleased with our concern for confidentiality and would recommend our services to others.
Critical incident stress management
The International Critical Incident Stress Foundation defines critical incident stress as an event that causes unusually strong emotional reactions with the potential to interfere with one’s ability to function normally.
Saint Luke’s EAP has a unique capacity to respond to emergency situations should a workplace trauma occur. All of our clinicians are trained in critical incident stress management and we offer our expertise for consultation, debriefing, defusing, and other on-site trauma management services.
For critical incidents outside the local area, we contract with a premier crisis care services organization to provide on-site response in a timely and professional manner nationwide.
Daily living convenience service
We help employees find better life balance between work and home in a time when many employees are working longer hours, taking more work home, and conducting personal business during work hours, sometimes out of necessity. Daily Living helps employees find resources for better life balance in a timely and efficient manner.
Our national partner’s trained experts provide consultation, resources, and research on almost any request. For example, they can identify service options for plumbers or landscapers, obtain pricing for services, and then report back to the employee, who may schedule or purchase services if they so choose. Depending on customer preference and the nature of the request, response can be by text, fax, email, phone, or mail. Daily Living convenience services do not involve credit card transactions, providing additional security and comfort.
Convenience services include:
- Home maintenance and repair
- Pet care and obedience training
- Community volunteering
- Transportation and travel
- Apartment locators
- Consumer comparisons
- Chore services/housecleaners
- Fitness classes
Types of assistance to employees who need childcare include:
- Group or family childcare
- In-home care or nanny and au pair placement
- Summer camps
- Parenting classes and support groups
- Adoption support and post-adoption services
Adoption assistance is available for:
- International and domestic agencies
- Adoption support groups
- Post-adoption services
Types of assistance to employees who need adult care include:
- Community agencies
- Meal services
- Senior housing options
- Respite care
- In-home and companion services
EAP Financial Consultation provides expert guidance to help you manage your money. This service provides free telephonic access anywhere across the country to connect you to financial professionals. Confidential consultation is available for a wide range of personal financial concerns, including:
- Budget consultation
- Debt management services
- Financial advice
- Financial resources
- Credit report analysis that will not negatively affect your credit score
Financial counselors are available to assist over the phone or via web-based live messaging.
With today’s complicated issues and fast pace, there are times we might need some legal consultation and assistance. Legal Assist is an EAP Life Balance service designed to provide access to qualified legal advice and counsel either by phone or in person as determined by your need. Legal Assist includes more than 17,000 attorneys nationwide.
About Legal Assist:
- Consultations are free, half-hour phone or in-person sessions with an attorney qualified to handle your issue.
- You will receive a 25 percent discount on hourly attorney fees if you need representation.
- Telephonic attorneys cannot self-refer, so you are assured unbiased advice.
Working with employers to retain valued employees who are exhibiting attendance, behavior, or performance problems at work is a cornerstone of our EAP. For us, management referrals are a core service and are included in every EAP because we are passionate about helping you retain your valued employees who might be struggling with personal issues.
Managers refer employees to us when their behavior becomes an organizational concern in areas such as:
- Violations of drug and alcohol policy
- Threats of violence
- Poor attendance or declining job performance
- Inappropriate conduct with management, co-workers, clients, or customers
- Theft, inappropriate use of funds or expense-reporting
- Harassment or hostile work environment situations
Saint Luke’s EAP experts provide consultation and training on the referral process. We maintain regular communication with you regarding the employee’s progress at the EAP and coordinate return-to-work conferences when appropriate. We manage more than 300 referrals annually with a solid record of success in helping the employer reduce risk while helping valued employees retain employment, improve job performance, and successfully complete their EAP treatment plan.
Ensuring client confidentiality is of the utmost importance. Records are maintained and information communicated in accordance with federal and state guidelines, including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). All of Saint Luke’s personnel complete annual training on privacy policies, business ethics, and other applicable topics.
Employees from the same organization are systematically scheduled at different times of the day or week to ensure their privacy at our EAP offices. Client satisfaction surveys show an extremely high rating for our demonstration of concern for client confidentiality, with a rating of 4.8 on a five-point scale.
Department of Transportation Substance Abuse Professional (SAP)
Substance abuse issues can negatively affect safety and employee focus at work. Increasing supervisor and employee awareness of substance abuse is key to promoting a safe workplace environment. Organizations also benefit when employees complete treatment and can be considered for return to their safety-sensitive duties.
The EAP can assist organizations with Department of Transportation (DOT)-covered employees by:
- Providing required training for supervisors on alcohol and controlled substances
- Providing training for employees on substance abuse awareness
- Providing Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) services when an employee has a DOT violation and wants to return to a safety-sensitive position
To learn more about Saint Luke’s LIFEWISE™ Employee Assistance Program, call 816-931-3073 or 800-327-1223 or email email@example.com.